Wednesday, October 2, 2013

W.O.W. How to start running and How to stay motivated!

Hello Everybody!

This morning I want to talk about how to "start running" and how to stay motivated.  Disclaimer:  This is what works for me, and it may not work for everyone.  Everyone is different, but I think "my" way is a good way! :)

1) How to start running.  I was NEVER an athlete.  Growing up I played softball when I was 10.  I was never good.  I just got to play because I was 10 and everyone got to play.  In high school I played volleyball, I was not good.  I played soccer, I was not good.  I was a cheerleader, this I was good at! :) The only reasons I got to play these sports at all was because I went to a VERY small Christian School and everyone got to play because it was so small. 

Okay, all that to say is that I believe anyone can start running regardless of their "athletic ability." (Because I have none and I can run)  When I first started running, I told myself that I would run for 10 minutes.  I probably ran a half mile in that 10 minutes but I ran it all.  After a couple weeks of running for 10 minutes, I tried to run for 15 minutes.  Then I would try to run a mile, then two miles, etc.  I think a lot of times people try to focus on how fast they are going, and I think that is what gets so defeating.  Just focus on getting out there and doing something.

2) How to stay motivated!  This is my favorite part.  When you first start running it's best to sign up for a race to stay motivated.  When you finish the race you get a prize.  After my first 5k my prize was Taco Bell.  (Again, this may not work for everyone, or even be good ideas, but they work for me, and may help you.)  After I did my first triathlon I went and got a pedicure, and it was perfect!  They don't even have to be things that cost money.  Sometimes if I do a bigger race (10k, half, etc)  my hubby and I will do something special together like rent a movie and eat popcorn.  That is a cheap one :)  I am such a little kid when it comes to staying motivated so oftentimes I will say to myself if you finish this tough run you can go out to lunch with a friend.  I think I'm motivated best by food.  Which is probably really bad.  But hey, once again, it works for me.  I just have to remember to not go overboard :)

Brother and I eating after the marathon.




One more reason to stay motivated... I don't want this guy to outdo me :)



But for real, I love to do races with my hubby and that keeps me motivated to keep going when we are doing things together!  I hope you guys stay motivated- keep at it!!!

Any other good ideas to stay motivated?  How did you start running?



No comments:

Post a Comment